It’s another busy and eventful day in Cupertino, a day filled with lots of exciting news from Apple at their Let’s Talk iPhone event in California and we’re here to bring you all the important highlights, top stories and juicy details. Yes we typically “talk tablets” here and the bulk of today’s news is related to the much anticipated iOS 5 and iPhone 4S but some of today’s breaking news also effects iPad users and we always do our best to keep our readers in the loop.
There’s been countless rumors during the past several months and today’s event puts a lot of those rumors to rest. Pricing, availability dates and much more were revealed by Apple today so enough blathering, let’s get you updated on today’s top Let’s Talk iPhone event highlights.
iOS 5 and iCloud Availability Date Announced
One of the biggest questions lately is when the new Apple iOS 5 mobile operating system and iCloud service will be available. Well, the wait is nearly over and both iOS 5 and iCloud will be launching for mainstream users on October 12, just over a week away!
This software update will be available for the iPad, iPad 2, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS as well as 3rd and 4th generation iPod touch devices next Wednesday.
iPhone 4S Release Date, Specs & Other Details
Starting October 7 you’ll be able to pre-order the iPhone 4S and the new mobile device will begin shipping a week later on October 14. On the outside the iPhone 4S really doesn’t look all that different, but the new specs on the inside are another story!
iPhone 4S Specs
- iOS 5
- Dual Core A5 CPU (double the processor speed)
- Dual Core GPU (7x faster graphics)
- Improved battery: 6 hours of 3G browsing, 8 hours talk time on 3G networks, 9 hours Wi-Fi browsing, 14 hours of talk time on 2G networks
- Up to 14.4mbps download speeds
- Siri intelligent assistant & voice navigation
- Newly redesigned antenna which switches for the best reception automatically
- World phone with CDMA and GSM
- Records 1080p HD quality video and features real-time image stabilization
- 8MB camera capable of capturing 3264×2448 resolution images, shoots photos quicker and absorbs more light, hybrid IR filter and f 2.4 aperture
Recent Apple Statistics & Fun Facts
At the start of the event Tim Cook, Apple’s new CEO, wasted no time revealing some impressive numbers and statistics. Although these statistics are quite mind boggling, Tim Cook believes Apple still has a lot of room for improvement. He was quoted during the event saying:
There are still 77 percent of people who are buying something else, …We have an incredibly high ceiling here. We have a long way to go.
Here’s a breakdown of Apple’s recent numbers, facts and statistics for you in point form:
- iMac & Macbook Pro remain USA’s top selling desktop & notebook
- Nearly 60 million Mac users worldwide (almost 1/4 of the global personal computer market)
- 16 billion songs downloaded to date on iTunes
- 300,000,000 iPods sold
- 18,000,000,000 (billion) iOS apps downloaded to date, netting developers nearly $3 billion
- Currently 250 million iOS devices have been sold
- Now 357 Apple retail stores in 11 countries
Let’s Talk iPhone Event Full Video
You can watch the entire event online, yes it’s available already. Click here to watch the full length video and put Apple’s servers to the ultimate test!
There’s a whole lot more so stay tuned for part 2 of our coverage coming shortly!